Monday, January 15, 2007

Cat on the mend, like for REAL.

Mr. Pants is on the road to recovery. oh so many days later we have a cat with a bald belly and arm patch and an 8 inch row of gaggy looking stitches YAY! -finally eating solids again and sometimes still trying to duke it out with freddie p. we are administering antibiotics and pepcid twice a day....awesome job. I have lots of people to thank for all of the super mr. pants support it has gotten us through the very worst of times.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007


Mr. Legs decided it was okay to eat some food that he has lost nearly all of his winter heft weight. Maybe tomorrow he can finally come home....oh mr. peepers

Palmyra Endicot T-Burg keeps busy in the tub while Mr. P is in the idea why....

Looking cute last Friday when we were hoping this would all just get better on its own.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007


so I spoke with the vet this afternoon and mr. P is still refusing food so cannot yet come home. I guess this might not be unusual since it was a mighty surgery and could take a while to get back to his normal self. I am going to stop by after work to cheer him up with my beautiful face and I bet Jessica is gonna do the same. we will tell you how he's lookin.

Monday, January 08, 2007

Follow up to the sickly cat saga:

So Thursday morning Jessica and I once more dropped mr. p back off at the vet, this time for a second set of radiographs. After a long day of waiting the Vet finally called at 5:30 p.m. to let me know that although the report from the radiologist had not yet arrived he had looked over the x-rays with another doctor and based on the gas patterns in the stomach it appeared to them that there might not be a blockage after all in which case it might be pancreatitis (swelling and hyper-activity of the pancreas possibley brought about by a change in diet that results in the over production of digestive enzymes which then begin to actually eat away at the intestinal lining and the area surrounding the pancreas itself) the proposed next step was to get an ultra sound along with a light sedative that would allow the doctors to get a better look at the pancreas....this was going to cost an additional $475.00 on top of the $710.00 I had already paid at this point. I told them it just was not an option and asked what I might be able to do instead. we came up with a plan to have me take mr. p home and administer sub-cutaneous fluids along with pepcid ac, an antibiotic, and medicine for gastrointestinal irritation, a medicine to repair intestinal walls and nutri-cal to provide some of the badly needed nutrients that mr. p was no longer getting from food. So I arrived at the vet that night for more bad news. Between the time it took me to get from work to the doctor's office the radiology report had arrived. There was a blockage. The intestine was becoming distended and the next course of action was a cost of 1,200-1,800 dollars.... I had to make a decision. but instead I just lost it. by the time I finished hysterically crying I had decided to take mr.p home for the night and consider the surgery for friday or saturday if he didnt improve any. Long story short....he got much worse and Saturday was dropped off for the operation. The findings? The ziplock portion of a sandwich bag along with some festive red and silver christmas ribbon stuck in the small intestine....way to go mr. pants!
the Surgery seems to have been a success...I spoke with the vet today and he informed me that pants tried to make a break for it after being transported back to the clinic from the animal hospital on coney island...but he still will not eat. the plan is to give him some valium tonight to stimulate his appetite and see if he can keep food down without getting sick. If all goes well we could have him back by tomorrow night!!!! hooray!! wish us well as I now owe $2100 in cat medical bills!

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Our really sick kitty

So, Monday morning I woke to find mr. p booting up breakfast in the kitchen and by evening it was very apparent that he could not keep anything down including water and was much sicker than we had thought. Tuesday he was sleeping in the morning when I went to work but by the time Jessica was heading out at noon piddy was super sick again re-igniting all worries from the previous day. At 5 we went to see the vet and it was not good. Aside from being a mess from dehydration, electrolyte and kidney production-wise, he was running a low temp. and when his belly was pressed on he started wailing.....I had to leave him overnight to be put under and x-rayed. The vet's big guess was a horrible theory about string and the digestive tract which was ruled out by the physical and the radiographs. Wednesday morning I spoke with the vet who informed me that the x-rays showed a blockage of some kind in the small intestine...but it was not apparent if this was actually the cause of all the the decision was made to give p some valium to stimulate his non-existent appetite give him some food and water and wait. At 1:30 things were seeming good he had eaten and was holding it down...but then a call at 4 that he threw up again and as it had smelled like feces it was clear that this was coming up from somewhere deep in the step. I was able to come take him home for the night since he had been pumped up with an IV of fluids and ulcer medication but need to return to the vet for a second set of x-rays on Thursday morning. Jessica and I looked at the x-rays and tried to get a better idea from the vet of what might be next depending on what happens with limited success. I'll update tomorrow....